Community News

From the Vault: an interview with Cynthia Geary of Northern Exposure by Jamie Lammers

Actress Cynthia Geary may not have been familiar with the towns of Nederland, Central City, or Black Hawk before, but she is absolutely familiar with the community that forms in small towns such as those in the Peak to Peak area. She grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, with three siblings, and was able to know all of her friends’ parents, […]

SELF-LOVE: Creating what doesn’t exist

People often ask me why I never married (or had children). Sometimes, they want to know why I don’t at least commit to someone for life. The answer is simple: Because I refuse to settle. I’m not afraid of commitment. That’s the easy part. The challenge is finding the perfect partner. A partner who communicates with transparency – that’s number […]

Photography exhibit at Gilpin County Library

Sam Howard is an award-winning fine art railroad photographer who combines incredible Colorado landscapes with the rich history of mountain railroading. Viewing his photographs, you can almost experience the sounds, smells, and beauty of our treasured west. Howard photographs all over Colorado, where steam engines on the narrow gauge are still king. His favorite location is the Durango Silverton Narrow […]

The flies that bind, fish the bubble line

“My phone doesn’t work, there’s no signal out here,” Melissa Smith realized. “I’ve never felt so disconnected. Come on, it’s 2018!” The water was cold, she was cold, the current was strong enough to knock her down. With her teeth chattering, she said to herself, “What am I doing here, and why?” The what is simple enough – she was […]

New District Ranger appointed

Patsy McEntee has been appointed to be the new District Ranger in the Arapaho Forest’s Clear Creek Ranger District in Idaho Springs. Besides working for the USDA Forest Service, McEntee has worked for the National Park Service, Boulder County and nongovernmental entities. Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests Supervisor Monte Williams, in announcing McEntee’s appointment, said, “Patsy’s expertise in planning and […]

Nederland Area Seniors

February 14 – Meatball hero, mixed green with Italian dressing, banana February 21 – Breaded pork chop with gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, apples February 28 – Cheese stuffed chicken, baked potato, sour cream, asparagus, pears. February 28 – Purple Art event, an art class for seniors! Suggested donation $5. Lunch is served at noon. (Yoga 11 – 11:30 a.m.) […]

Gilpin County Seniors

February 8 – Grocery shopping at Bergen Park King Soopers February 9 – Free Senior Fit exercise class at 11 a.m., Lunch at 12:15 p.m., Social time February 12 – Free Senior Fit exercise class at 11 a.m. February 14 – Free Senior Fit exercise class at 11 a.m., Lunch at 12:15 p.m., Valentines Day, Property Tax Exemption Program February […]

What’s happening at Gilpin Parks & Rec

250 Norton Drive, Black Hawk gilpincounty.colorado.gov 303-582-1453 Pool Hours – WINTER *Please call to confirm prior to coming *Closed Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday* Monday and Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (closed 12 – 4:30 p.m.) 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Saturday: 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Building Hours *Now closed on Sunday, Tuesday and […]

“How to prepare for everything” workshop

The town of Nederland and the Intermountain Alliance coalition sponsored a workshop on disaster preparedness on Friday, February 2, 2024, at the Nederland Community Center. The title of the workshop was “How to Prepare for Everything” with the Director of Crisis Cleanup Aaron Titus as the presenter. Titus spoke about the need to prepare for dealing with types of disruptions […]

Steve and Jan Prescott: Love through sickness and health

Steve and Jan Prescott have been married for 35 years come June of 2024. It was a fateful day in June of 1986 when Steve, 36, met Jan, 24, in a small bar where she worked in Perry County, Pennsylvania. Steve kept coming back to the bar, not just for the beer. He courted Jan and they were eventually married […]

Category Pages are limited to 90 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.