Gail Eddy, Nederland. How is your computer like your car?
The longer we’ve had our Volvo and Hondas and continued our relationship with our mechanics; I continue to come to the conclusion that taking care of computers and cars is very much the same. I know; that sounds like Crazy Talk! I’ll tell you what I mean.
Just like you want your mechanic to give your vehicle a once-over every 3-5,000 miles, your computer needs looking at as well. About once a year Chris will:
* Clean up temporary files – this helps your machine run faster.
* Check for and remove any viruses or other malware.
* Make sure your drivers are up to date.
* Look for any unusual behavior.
* Ask you questions about how you use your machine and any annoyances you’ve experienced lately.
* And other tasks as required.
Unexpected noises are never a good thing. Whether it’s from your car or computer, if you’re like me, your first inclination is to ignore it and hope it goes away. Then, if it happens again you start to take it seriously! Unusual noises that some of our customers have experienced include:
* Grinding fan noises. Your computer needs to stay cool in order to work properly, and that is what the fan is for. If the fan starts to make noises, it’s getting ready to fail. If it stops making the loud sound, it’s already failed and it needs to be replaced asap! If your computer gets too hot, the whole thing could fail.
* Voices. Yes, voices. Lately we’ve seen some weird viruses that talk to our customers. “Make sure you call 800-555-1212 right now!”
* Squeaking from a dry fan belt
* A clicking sound from inside your machine could indicate that the hard drive is failing.
We’ve found that one of the most important things to do in keeping our vehicles in top shape is to get to know our mechanics. We’ve been invited to their special events and are proud to call them our friends. We have similar relationships with many of our customers too, and we’d love to get to know you as well!
Chris Eddy of Geek For Hire, Inc. has been providing computer service to families and small businesses with Mac’s and PC’s for the past fourteen years. His company is highly rated by both the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and by Angie’s List. You can find more at http://www.GeekForHireInc.com Geek For Hire, Inc. provides onsite service (Tier 3) to the Denver / Boulder / Front Range area.