Gilpin County voting changes—vote early on Saturday!

Lynn HirshmanGilpin County voting changes—vote early on Saturday!
Gilpin County

Colleen Stewart, Clerk and Recorder for Gilpin County, is looking forward to breaking in her brand-new “vote center” rooms in the basement of the Old Courthouse in Central City. She wants to make sure all Gilpin residents understand the new election procedures that begin with this year’s election.
“Everyone should have received a ballot in the mail by now,” Stewart said. Mailed ballots must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder’s office by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day, November 5. Ballots may be mailed — be sure to attach proper postage — or returned in person to the Voter Service and Polling Center, Old Courthouse, 203 Eureka Street, Central City.
New voters can register online or current voters can make changes to their registration at until Monday, October 28. Between October 28 and Election Day, November 5, voters must come to the Voter Service and Polling Center at the Old Courthouse in person in order to make changes.
The big difference here is that new voters can register right up to Election Day and may vote that same day. New voters must have lived in Gilpin County at least 22 days before the election in order to register.
Those who prefer to vote in person may surrender their mail ballot at the Courthouse and vote either electronically or by paper ballot. Early voting takes place from Monday, October 28 through Monday, November 4, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Another major change in voting procedures this year is that early voting will also take place on the Saturday before Election Day — November 2 — from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
Election day, Tuesday November 5, the Voter Service and Polling Center will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. for drop-off of mail ballots or in-person voting. Voting will happen ONLY at the Old Courthouse this year; there will be no other polling places open.
Stewart hopes to make this off-year election the smoothest ever, so if any Gilpin residents have questions about these procedures, they can call the Clerk and Recorder’s office at 303-582-5321 or e-mail